Transporting Leo

So last night I was going through my emails when I open one from a transport group. I always check them but I am never able to help because the transports usually take place on the weekends and that is when my husband and the kids are home. But I always check and try to forward on accordingly. Well last night at about 10:20pm I opened an email and read about a Bloodhound named Leo. It seemed as if his adoptive family felt he just wasn't going to work out. He needed to go back to his foster mom, who he was quite bonded too. The rescue group was trying frantically to fill a transport for the follow day, today. Well, for the first time I could actually help out! I was thrilled so I called and all the arramgements were made.

I showed up 30 minutes early at the intended meeting site, a Bob Evans at 71 & 18 in NE Ohio, and when I got there I found out the transport was running late. You see what happens with  a transport, I will take Leo for instance. Leo was at his adoptive home in Albany, New York. He needed to get back to Loveland, Ohio. That is a 700 mile trip that takes  11 1/2 hour of driving, then you have to figure in potty breaks. Now since this is a rescue/foster home that is taking Leo back, they can not afford to fly him home, so volunteers agree to pick up legs of the trip consisting of about 45 minutes to an hour drive so Leo can get out of the car have a break and be passed on to the next person. A transport train if you will. This effort was a 2 day event for Leo, and as I am writing this he is on his last leg. Almost done.

As I said, the transport was running a little late, but when it got there, I saw Leo for the first moment in the back seat and my heart just ached for him. I let him walk around the grass a little and as I was talking with the other driver and absentmindedly scratching Leo's head he suddenly put his paw in my hand. So I looked at him set it down and loved on him and went back to talking again. Then he did it again. There was something about what he was doing, it was as if he was trying to say "Hey, I like you, can I come home with you?" He immediately climbed into my car and settled in for the ride. I talked to him the whole way. I told him about my dogs, and how much I would love to take him home but it would be too crowded. And I told him he was going home to his foster mom and would be happy to see her. When we got to Leo's next stop I was truly sad my part of his journey had ended.

I have to say, I have done rescue for years, and have done many transports in the past, but this one really grabbed my heart. I am not sure why Leo didn't work out for the family that adopted him. All I know is that it took me 5 minutes to fall in love with him, a 50 minute car ride to become attached and I will have a liifetime memory of a Dog that loved anf trusted me to help get him back to a place he thinks is home.

Anna, The Pilot’s Wife

Late last night around 11:00pm Leo was reunited with his foster mom and dad. I am sure they were all relieved he made there safe and sound and I know he had a good night's sleep in a home where he is loved...

7 comments:

Beth@Wiccan Make Some Too said...

So sweet & touching. I would have cried like a baby sending him on his way. My hat is off to you!

Debbie said...

This is SO SWEET! How could you NOT love this cutie pie. Poor thing - I hope he gets a loving permanent home soon.

Veronica Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veronica Lee said...

Awww! This is so sweet! The pic just breaks my heart.I hope he'll end up in a loving home too.

The Splendiferous Life said...

What a sweety, I would of had a hard time to..but you where the angle he needed at the right time.

Denise Mulligan said...

I haven't stopped by in a long while...but you are still so sweet. That dog was the cutest and it breaks my heart that he has no permanent home.
He certainly knew you were a kindred spirit!

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

This totally breaks my heart. I can't imagine someone taking a dog and then it just "didn't work out". Maybe I'm just an idealist but really - did they not think it through?

Anyway - I would love to take part in something like this - how could I be part of a transport team?