The Bathroom Has Become Tiffany's

"You know those days when you get the mean reds? Not the blues,The blues are because you're getting fat, and maybe it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid, and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?"

That is Holly GoLightly explaining to Paul Varjak what the mean reds are. For those of you who know me, know that Breakfast at Tiffany's is my all time favorite movie. And when I was a single gal living in a hip flat in the cool city of Spokane, WA, I used to say that Williams and Sonoma was my Tiffany's.. Warning another movie quote:

"Well, when I get it (the mean reds) the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there."

So I was saying when I was a single girl in the city, Williams and Sonoma was my Tiffany's. But now that I have fallen madly deeply in love the true love of my life, I have uprooted my nice, neat, tidy, little single gal life and trekked almost all the way across country to live in a town of 3000 people where we do not even live in town, with my man and his two babies, 6 and 8 years old who I love with all my heart.

But I must admit, it is not all butterflies, hearts, and fairytales. An 8 year old boy with some anger issues and a 6 year old girl going on 16 and you can bet there are going to be some meltdowns. And to top it off, when I got out there, it had been just the 3 of them for almost 4 years. You can imagine gals, a dad in charge!!! There was ball throwing in the house, golfing in the house, climbing on the counters and windowsills, and numerous other things that would make a mom cringe.

Needless to say the love of my life agreed with me that there needed to be some rules laid down and boundaries put in place. Let me tell you this did not go over well. And even now quite some time later we still have outbursts and of course there is the occasional hand to hand combat between sister and brother, so whenever I have a day where that tension is in the air, and the anxiety is coming on, and I get a case of the mean reds...

I disappear into the bathroom and say to myself, this is my Tiffany's and nothing very bad could happen to me there. After a few minutes, the reds fade to a sort of light pink, I walk out refresed ready to face the latest battle with everything I got. At the end of the day, I am rewarded with sweet kisses from the Sydnee the 6 year telling me she loves me with all her heart, and Brady the 8 year old throwing his arms around me saying I love you Anna. All while my man watches with tears welling up in his eyes because there is so much love in this house.

Anna, Just call me Holly GoLightly

No comments: