DOOBALIADA!!! - Here Comes Santa Claus


I have to say one of my fondest memories of Christmas as a child was my sister and I every year getting so excited when my parents would break out their Christmas albums. They had all the Christmas classics sung by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Johnny Mathis, but the one I remember the most was “Here Comes Santa Claus” by the Ray Conniff Singers circa 1959. And even though it was recorded 10 years before I was born, I am of the opinion that this is the best version of the song EVER done!

I have to tell you what makes it the best is the DOOBALIADAS! You have to wait for them. They come after the Here comes Santa Claus when the girls are singing.  My sister Becky and I would sing that EVERY time! I thought that DOOBALIADA was actually one of the words in the song. I thought it meant JOY AND HAPPINESS.  
Now considering my parents would play these records every year from the time I was born, I never knew there was another version until I was about 9 years. But it was too late. To this day when I hear that song on the radio, after the Here comes Santa Claus line, you can hear me singing DOOBALIADA. And in my mind I am filled with JOY AND HAPPINESS!
My son and daughter now sing the song that way too! I called my mom the other to tell her about it and she got a laugh out of that. She still has the albums and is now passing them down to me.
DOOBALIADA!!!

What is your fondest childhood Christmas memory?

24 comments:

Caroline said...

I saw your post on FB the other day about the doobaliadas, and I watched the video. Funny how I'd never noticed that before. And just half an hour ago, that song came on Pandora, and the doobaliada jumped out at me when I wasn't even thinking about it. :)

Miss Sara said...

A lot of ppl cringe @ me because I like Classic Christmas everything! Something about the season, just puts/keeps me in a good mood. My fondest Christmas memory would have to be me, very young 4-5 yrs old decorating, making pop corn strands & paper chains w/ my Mom & Dad. My childhood was a mess & that time of yr it seems the chaos was forgotten.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the follow! I am here to return the favor. Have a wonderful CHRISTmas! :)

AubrieAnne said...

I really enjoy Christmas music. TIS THE SEASON! However, I am only willing to start listening to it AFTER Thanksgiving. Some stations were already putting up Christmas music in November! I had to change the channel all the time. However, now I am reveling in it!

AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/

Lisa@The Nourishing Homemaker said...

Hi, I linked over from More Love Monday and I'm following you. I'd love for you to follow me back!

http://nurturedfamilylife.blogpsot.com

I'm not a pilot's wife, but my dad was a pilot and now my brother is :)

Shah Wharton said...

I was hopping around - then I saw you - Guess what - I'm a pilots wife too! ;)X

wordsinsycn.blogspot.com

Come say hi! X

Shah Wharton said...

Oh - I'm following - if you like my blog reciprocate? Have a great day. X

Mika said...

Thanks for following! I'm following
back. Merry Christmas!!
Mika (www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com)

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by and following Showcase Sisters, we're following you back and hope you have a wonderful week and Happy Holiday!

This Mama Knows said...

Following you back from Frugalonthecheap.com. Thanks for visiting!

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

Thanks for stopping by A CREATIVE SPIRIT. Following you back and looking forward to getting to know you.

My fave childhood Christmas memory is the year my parents bought me a beautful opal ring, but I thought it was cologne as my mom put it in a box of cough syrup and when I shook it I figured it was perfume.

Alida Sharp said...

Thanks for the stopping by my blog! Following you back :-)

Undeserving Grace said...

Stopping by from the Monday blog hop I'd love to have you join me at undeservingrace.com! I look forward to reading more posts. have a very merry Christmas!

Jen said...

Johnny Mathis was a big thing at Christmas at my grandmother's house. Loved listening to Johnny Mathis and eating good food with family. :)

Gina said...

Following you thanks for stopping by my blog.
http://ginabean32.blogspot.com

hugs n love
Gina

Holly said...

Thanks for visiting my site! I am now following you back!

An Apel a Day said...

I'm following you back from Cookie Art.

Unknown said...

Hi Anna! Thank you for popping over to my blog. I'm always to happy to find someone new 'out there'. And I love this song too. My parents use to play it every Christmas. Aaah, the memories. Merry merries to you and yours, and I look forward to popping over again real soon! xx

An Apel a Day said...

The Apel's and Finding Me Again are my blogs as well.

Have a great night!

jo said...

Hi there,
Thanks for following and visiting my blog!
Have a great day!
I am following you as well..

Jo
http://joshealthcorner.blogspot.com/

Denise Mulligan said...

Too funny how things just stick in your brain and stays just that way forever.
Thanks for commenting on my blog.
Merry Christmas!
Denni

Nicole Bouchard Boles said...

Following you from www.everydayphilanthropistblog.com

MichelleTwinMum said...

Hi, Following you back from the blog hop. Mich x

Unknown said...

Hi - thanks for linking up your Christmas post on Family Literacy's Let's Go Caroling Party! It's been a lot of fun to hear all the different renditions of familiar songs. Thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas! Tina "The Book Lady"
http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com